Happy Thursday and welcome to a little creative departure from my usual cards. For this mixed media journal I used elements of the Winter Adventure Toolshed Kit, the world map paper and the Tim Holtz Chipboard words. I also used the KaiserMist in Denim mixed with pearlescent white paint for the splatters and the Lindy's Starburst Spray in Canna Lily Burnt Orange mixed with pearlescent white part for the splatters. The prompt I used for this page was from the Mission Inspiration Facebook Page:
The steps I took were as follows:
1. Covered my page with tan tissue, using Mod Podge to adhere
2. Covered with white gesso with a baby wipe (I made my own with a paper towel, oil, water and soap)
3. Made marks using corrugated card board to pick up on the grid theme - I used orange and black paint mixed to approximate the terra-cotta and a blue that I had on hand with black to approximate the navy (I could have added additional black).
4. I added texture with vanilla texture paste from Marabu Mixed Media
5. The focal image is the world circle punched from Maja Designs paper and the photograph of my dad, when he was 21 years old, and came to the United States.
6. I added the Tim Holtz chipboard phrases that were cut from those in the pack (oops! I got the order slightly wrong).
7. I created the splatters with shimmer using the mists, as noted above and a fan brush.
8. I added a boarder with scribbles that look like a "W" in hindsight, for Warren (my dad's last name), with a Pitt Pen. I also added some grid lines in black and some outlines as well to bring the design all together.
I hope to make a video in the future of how I use bits and bobs from the kit to create mixed media journal pages.
The date on the page is the date my dad came to the United States. I colored that circle with a gelato in a terra-cotta color for a highlight.
Thanks for stopping by!